Olivia was looking forward to the prenatal check-up tomorrow. She was anxious and concerned about this pregnancy.
She could finally see how her babies were doing in her womb, so how could she not be excited?
She walked to Jeff’s room like she always did. He had been in a coma for three months. It didn’t look like he was going to regain consciousness. It was like he was compromising. His body stayed to accompany her, but his spirit had wandered elsewhere.
Olivia could still feel the bond between them as long as he was still alive. And she wouldn’t be an orphan. She cleaned Jeff’s body and read a book out loud. Then, she began to talk to Jeff.
“Dad, I’ll know the babies’ gender tomorrow. Please wake up. I want you to witness every moment of happiness with me.
“The babies will be born in a few months. I’ve kept the toys you made with care. I’m sure the kids will love them when I give them the toys.”
She said many things and looked at the machine on the side. All the numbers were steady. It didn’t seem like Jeff was going to wake up.
Olivia sighed. She looked at Jeff, who was getting weaker by the day. She said guiltily, “Dad, am I being too selfish for holding on to you? I’m sorry. There’s nothing else I can hold on to. I just want to hold onto the family I have left. Dad, please wake up and look at me and the babies. Please.”
As expected, there was no response. Olivia sighed and said, “Dad, rest well. I’ll come again tomorrow.
Olivia left the room with a heavy heart. This coma was different from the last. The last time he was in a coma, there was a high chance for him to regain consciousness after an operation.
This time, the doctors had basically resigned Jeff to his fate after this period of observation. There was a 99% chance he wasn’t waking up. The 1% was if a miracle happened.
The doctors suggested that they should let Jeff pass peacefully. Keeping him alive would just be
torturous for him.
The rounds of resuscitation had taken a toll on his body. He was only hanging on to life with the help. of medication and medical equipment.
Every day, Olivia would hope for a miracle, that she would open her eyes and see Jeff awake.
The next day, Olivia started the routine prenatal check-up early in the morning. She lay on the bed and was visibly nervous.
Dr. Wells comforted her. “Relax, Mrs. Miller. There’s no need to be nervous. You’ll be able to see the babies soon.”
There was a high-resolution display in front of her. When the probe moved around her stomach, the screen would show what was happening in her womb.
There were two colors, black and yellow. The yellow parts were her babies. The nearly five-month- old babies had already developed facial features.
The two children were very playful as the probe continued to follow them around. They kept trying to use their hands to cover their faces.
Dr. Wells smiled and said, “Look, the babies are very lively. Those are the legs, and these are the hands. This baby’s face is covered up. Let’s look at the other one.”
The probe moved to the side, and Olivia saw a smiling face. This baby was very docile. It didn’t cover its face, which was fully visible.
Even the most advanced equipment couldn’t get the image clearly. Only the outlines could be seen. It was like the baby sensed something as it kept smiling. The outline displayed on the monitor showed the edges of its lips curled into a smile.
“The baby looks healthy. This one looks a little like Mr. Miller.”
Olivia wiped her tears away. She was very emotional. Her impression of a baby stopped at the tiny little body covered with a white cloth. She was beyond happy now that she was seeing the living babies in her womb.
“Let’s look at the other rascal.”